Thursday, June 19, 2008

Susie Lee, East Texas Handbag Co. 1960's 70's


I bought these at different thrifts. One came from the Goodwill and one from a yard sale. $3.00 for the Love purse and $2.00 for the textured material with faux tortoise handles. Several of these purses have passed thru my hands but it wasn't until recently that I found out the baskets they are made from are commonly used for selling east Texas peaches in season. A quick insert here - east Texas peaches are the best peaches I have ever eaten!

Haven't been able to find out much about Susie Lee or the East Texas Handbag Co. but have talked to several ladies who remembered their mama or aunts owning one. This has helped date them to the 1960's and 70's. An east Texas response to Enid Collins perhaps? All the ones I've seen have been made in this style with the drawstring top, lined interior and double plastic or lucite ring handles. And haven't seen any repeats as of yet - all have different material, appliques, colors, some with basket showing and some with basket covered.

4 comments:

Amy said...

Thanks for the great and informational post. I found one at a thrift store today. The basket is white with flower appliques. I'll hopefully get a picture up on my blog - sunshinecitylassie.blogspot.com, at some point.

Dorothea's Closet Vintage said...

Glad to find this post!!! I just got a red/white one of these with the symbols of the zodiac around the top (like your blue one in a way).....these are so cute!!!

Ang

Alana Michele said...

My great-great aunt actually started the East Texas Handbag company in the 60s, in Jacksonville Florida! Her name was Goldalee Frank Balsam, but her friends called her "Frankie."

Not sure who Susie Lee is either, but loved finding her bag on your blog!

Alana Michele said...

*correction: her name was Goldalie Frank Balsam (spelling mistake in my first comment)