Thursday, June 18, 2009

Where Have These Binoculars Been?



Sometimes the things I find make me really pause and wonder about the history. Not too long ago, I found these binoculars in a fine old leather case. The case has a compass in the lid and the binocs are marked US Army Signal Corps. In researching them a little I found that they are likely from World War II. They're substantial, heavy metal and have perfect optics. I just have to believe they were a treasured tool and have seen a lot of the world. The $1.50 I spent bought me a piece of history and a wandering mind with thoughts of what the original owner might have been like and where they went together.

1 comment:

timary said...

My immediate thought when I first saw them was 'Africa!' Even before I read your post. Weird, huh?